Bible Verse Of The Day

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Captivating

Instead of making the trek into Houston on Tuesdays to listen to Beth Moore, I've been attending an at home Bible study. The title of the book is Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge. It has been wonderful, informative, eye opening and heart wrenching every week. I have learned that every little girl and boy comes into this world with a question on their hearts. A girls question is this...Am I captivating, do you notice me, do you see me? How many little girls play "dress up" and want to know if they are pretty? Or "look at me dancing". A boys question is more like this....Am I enough, am I a hero, am I the real deal, a man? How many little boys want to be "superman" or the star athlete...the hero, the one who saves the day. These questions are answered early in our childhood, even when the question hasn't been verbally asked. It is generally not answered in a positive way. Little girls can be physically abused and the answer to their question is ugliness. Or by a parent saying they weren't wanted, so they are always looking for someone to want or notice them. Then we have major hurdles to overcome. We (men and women) take our questions to the opposite sex to have them answer, and the truth of it is...they can't do it. The question can only be answered completely by God. What we can do for our partner (my husband) is to allow him to be the "hero". Even if it is something as simple as allowing him to help me with something, even when I can do it myself. Allow your husband to BE a man, play to his strength, bring it out in him by being a woman. Not pretending to be weak, don't insult him, but let him know he's needed and wanted. To be honest, I like when my man is the hero for me. A year ago I got a flat tire on the highway. Thank God for cell phones! I called my husband and I felt relieved when I saw him driving up to "rescue" me. I was the princess in the tower and he was the prince riding up on the white horse. It was actually a white work truck, but you get the point. That was a good day for us both. I would recommend reading the book captivating. There is a study to go along with it, but if you can't do the study the book is enough. For your man (if he'll read a book) get him Wild At Heart by John Eldredge. It's the guys version. It could save marriages which are at an all time high for divorce. God bless you and your marriage or if you're single your relationships.

2 comments:

Shonda said...

Wow. What a great book review. I'm so stacked up on books right now, but I'll add it to the list to get to. Thanks for sharing this info.

I did something similar and let my husband make a decision tonight that he tried to pass off to me. But thought better if he actually had the power to be the head of the house. Now I'll stand by him.

Love and blessings in Christ--

annette said...

I miss you, Karen. I am at Beth's on Tuesdays. I think Staci Eldridge's study sounds really good though. Maybe this summer. I have so much reading I want to catch up on. I'm doing a read the bible chronologically study online too so it's all I can do right now. Breaking Free is good if it is done right with the work we must do. Thank you for your comment to remind me that hurt causes fear. And that is what we must bring to Him, and the fear subsides. Your future d-i-l is beautiful and will be a wonderful addition to your family.I know you must be excited about the plans. Love, Annette