Bible Verse Of The Day

Friday, April 16, 2010

A Day Out in Nature

Yesterday we, my friend Billie and I, spent the day looking for birds and other wildlife at several places. We started out at the Bird Sanctuary in High Island, Texas. There were several different kinds of birds, but it was hard for me to get really good pictures of them because of how far away they were. A bigger zoom on my camera would have been helpful. Here are a couple that I did get and a few pretty scenery and flower pics.





When we left the bird sanctuary we went over to Smith Oaks where the Rookery is at. I'll let the photos speak for themselves...


We also saw a couple alligators, walked along some trails and saw a downy woodpecker and a few other birds.
We left here and went to Rollover pass to see the shore birds. We saw gulls, sandpipers, brown pelicans, and terns.


After having lunch, we started the trip back home. We stopped at the Anahuac Wildlife Refuge. On the road in we saw a rat snake. We jumped out of the vehicle to get a good look and a picture. But he slithered off too fast for a picture. He was about 3-4 feet long. We saw again a lot of birds, ducks, turtles, and several alligators. Take a look at these...




We then headed home. It was a long day. By the time I got home, I was ready for a nap but I stayed up till about 9:15 which is really early for me to go to bed. We had so much fun. Can't wait for the next adventure day.
I've got more pictures on my facebook page in the Wildlife album if you'd like to see more.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Great pics! Sounds like you and Billie had a great time. Would have loved to see it all with you, but I was busy at the 55+ fish fry at Tomahawk. Had a great time and I too was worn out when I got home. Give me a call one day and we'll have lunch. Love Ya!

Melinda said...

Karen these are great! We have a few of these up here too...I have even seen pics of alligators in our lake but never seen one with my own eyes. Looks like oyu all had a wonderful time.

Karen H TX said...

It was a lot of fun. Mary, we are going back out there on Thursday afternoon. Meeting at Billie's house at 3pm. We heard that most of the birds were in at that time.

Ingela said...

So exotic for me I´ve never seen an alligator... and really I dont know if I want to in real life ;-)
but thanks for sharing some of your trip.

I also love to be out in nature. We live in Skåne the southest place i Sweden near the Playa and the sea. My husband and I love to go there it´s only 800 meters away. If you visit my blog you can see a slideshow from there :-)

Ingela